Location – Dew Drop Range Road (Frederick Road) down to Battle Bluff
Elevation – Start at 610 m; descend to 550m and climb up he bluff to 671m
Distance – 2.2 km each way
Time – 1.5 – 2 hours depending on fitness and conditions
Type – climb through a pass and descend to the plateau and then climb the bluff
Season – March through November
- Unobstructed views of Cooney Bay, Kamloops Lake east towards 6 Mile Hill, and the hills around
- Grasslands wildflowers in season
- A forgiving trail
To Get There:
Drive west on Tranquille Road, and at the entrance to Tranquille, turn right, cross the tracks, and proceed past Tranquille Creek and climb up the Red Lake Road until the first switchback. Turn left onto the Dew Drop Range Road (Frederick Road). Proceed along for about 1.3 km and look for a parking area on your left (past the fenced area). This an unsigned trailhead.
- The trail is an old double track that starts in gully that follows a low pass between two hills. Angle over to the gully (see coordinates) and follow the track.
- At the top of the pass, the trail veers right (west). Follow the track until you come out into the open grasslands.
- The trail then veers south and down to the flat area. As you come onto the flatter area, angle back to the east towards the obvious bluff.
- The simplest approach is up a single track on the northwest corner of the bluff. It climbs steeply at first, then winds up between rock bands towards the top.
- The trail braids out in various places, but most routes lead to the top.
- There is a cairn at the top. There are many places to sit and enjoy the view or to have lunch.
- Be very careful around the edges of the bluff. There are sheer drops. Keep and eye on children and pets.
- Return by the same route.
If You Go There:
- Wear good shoes.
- Bring water and a good hat. The south-facing exposure can be hot and dry.
- Bring your camera. The views are superb.
This area starts in the Tranquille Ecological Reserve and descends into the fringes of Lac du Bois Grasslands Provincial Park.
– Parking/trailhead – N 50 44.794 W120 33.919
– Battle Bluff N 50 44.798 W120 33.994